Sunday, December 11, 2011

El dia de acción de gracias (Thanksgiving!)

On the actual day of Thanksgiving, Fer and I went to a Thanksgiving Luncheon held at the American Club downtown. We were invited by Mark and Mary Beth who are fellow Chicagoans that spend about 4-5 months every year in Buenos Aires during the Chicago winter. It was a very fun lunch but the food just left me craving more authentic North American holiday foods. The apple pie was particularly sad: it more closely resembled apple jello than a delicious, juicy, cinnamon-y apple pie from home. Fer and I had been wanting to do our own Thanksgiving so we planned it for the weekend immediately after to share it with Sofi and Martin. We asked them to each invite a friend and they made a sleepover out of it since the next Monday was a school holiday.
Fer and I had lots of fun cooking the whole day although it was HOT! Now I think I know why the majority of large holiday meals take place during fall and winter- you aren't meant to have the oven and stove going full blast on a 90 degree day. Especially in a kitchen with no AC ;)
 Challah is becoming a staple here. Martin is particularly in love with it, as he told his friend "es demasiado rico!"
Thank goodness Fer loves to carve the turkey! I wouldn't know where to begin.
 Getting ready to eat: Marti, Sofi, Frederico, Martin and Fer
My family tradition is to go around the table and say what you are thankful for from the last year so we did that with the kids this year. Hopefully it is one of many traditions we can make as a family in our new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment