Look at one of the beautiful places I get to work!!
GOODBYE traditional work hours, being inside most of the day, and not working most weekends! And for that matter: goodbye (with mixed feelings) to clinical dietetics, white lab coats, ICU rounds and tube feedings.
HELLO to being physically active for my job, being outside a good portion of the day, being creative and imaginative as I plan out my classes/music playlists, and best of all: helping people achieve their health and wellness goals. I love it! What a welcome change for this phase of my life.
So, what exactly is my new routine?
- Teaching yoga 3 times a week or more for Buena Onda Yoga: It is a wonderful community of expats, travelers, students, and locals. The classes are in English and the style of my classes are primarily vinyasa flow.
- Leading an outdoor boot camp fitness class for Boot Camp Buenos Aires (a sister company to Buena Onda) once a week... and it looks like I will be picking up more sessions starting this week.
- Writing articles about nutrition, yoga, fitness, etc. for Medios Lentos once a month (unfortunately, their site has been down this last week and they are working on getting it up and going again).
- Spanish tutoring twice a week with my lively and wonderful tutor, Mary Jane. And then trying to practice Spanish, read newspaper articles and easy books in Spanish, and basically getting over my fear of speaking Spanish!
- Being a "part-time mom" with Sofi and Martin when they stay with us on the weekends and a night or two during the week.
- Working on developing a personal website to offer nutrition counseling and tie together my work with yoga, boot camp and nutrition.
- Trying to maintain my own wellness and fitness. My goal is to have a daily yoga practice and also begin training for a race, maybe even the Buenos Aires Marathon in October!
- AND... living in a developing country with all that entails!! :) There's usually a daily surprise challenge to keep me on my toes.
The Las Cañitas studio
Inside the Recoleta studio:
View from your mat if you take a class with me! :)
One night, Fer and I did a little photo shoot so I'd have some photos for the Buena Onda Yoga website and a personal/work website that I am trying to get started.
Getting my camel on...
Having fun in side crow. Arm balances are some of my faves.
Preparing Nicoise salad for our dinner...
Yumm! One of our favorite dinners.
Thanks so much to all my friends and family that have supported me during these last few months of big transitions. I really couldn't be where I am today without all of you, especially my sweet Fer! Lots of love, Carolyn
Your not-so-routine is fabulous! Thank you for sharing the details of your "new" life, sans tube feedings. Ha! During my last job interview, I was asked "Describe your ideal coworker", and I of course described you - specifically the way you balanced a strong work ethic with a healthy amount of self care. I never took lunch time walks at U of C before you got the ball rolling for me.
ReplyDelete