Thursday, November 17, 2011

Catching up on October

October was our first full month together in Buenos Aires (BA). It was simultaneously a very good and also a very hard month. Since we were settling into a new apartment, a new job for Fer, a new country and language for me, and new dynamics to our relationship with the kids there was lots of potential for stress and uncertainty. One huge highlight of October was having Alice come visit! There are some photos below from her week long visit. She came at just the right time. It meant so much to me to have someone here who knows me (and Fer!) so well during such a vulnerable time for me/us. And the kids LOVED the goodies she brought! ;) 
Other big highlights from October were starting spanish classes at ECELA where I go for 4 hours each day Mon-Fri and also starting yoga classes regularly at BuenaOnda Yoga. More about that in a future post!
Not surprisingly at all, Fer has done extremely well at his new job. We love that he no longer carries a pager (!) and doesn't get called during the middle of the night. He is still very busy, juggling 2 jobs between the one here at Hospital Italiano and maintaining a part-time position at University of Chicago. Plus he has been helping me acclimate to the new language and culture, which could be a part-time job on it's own sometimes ;)

This first photo is of the BA marathon that I woke up to see on a cool, misty morning early in October. Fer told me that the BA marathon is always on the same weekend as the Chicago marathon, which is a fun coincidence. It felt good to cheer on runners in South America while many of my friends were running back home the same day.
Below are a few pics from an auto show that Fer, Martin, Alice and I went to one weekend in San Isidro, a pretty town just up the river from BA.
Fer and Martin checking out some of the antique sports cars.
My favorite! I love the color.
Alice took this adorable pic of two random kids at the auto show. They were having such a great time and were hilarious! I love the happiness beaming from their faces.

Back at the apartment we had a fun Halloween themed night that evening. Alice brought LOTS of treats from Chicago for us. Here's the table decorated (and Martin is in the background, doing his new favorite thing: playing on the iPad) :)
We even dressed up for the evening. Alice had to coax me a bit. :) Martin was Harry Potter and Sofi was Dr House. Alice and I were being silly and each dressed up as one of the kids: Alice is Martin and I am Sofi.
Alice and I hid halloween candy all over the apartment for the kids to find on a quasi-easter egg hunt of sorts. Halloweaster??
Did I mention that they can be competitive? :)
Alice also brought things to make cupcakes which is one of Sofi's specialties. Here are the lovely ladies with their yummy treats:
Alice: Muchisimas gracias!! We loved having you come visit and appreciated your patience with our almost empty, "gypsy" apartment. We can't wait for you to visit again!!
 

It is common for girls here to have a big party to celebrate their 15th birthday, or "Quince" and Sofi has had a lot of these parties to go to lately. They start ~8 or 9 and last until 3 in the morning or so. True Argentine style. :)
Que hermosa ella esta!

The kids have been helping us cook a lot more recently, which is really fun! Here, Sofi and Martin are helping us make guacamole and tacos for dinner.

Through my spanish school, I have met some wonderful people, many from all over the world. This has been refreshing since I thought that the school would be comprised primarily of people from the states. It's been a great way to learn about more cultures in addition to Argentina's.
In particular I got to know two lovely ladies from Holland: Marlies and Marianne. I am missing them a lot since they left for Brazil to travel for ~1 month before returning to BA in early December.
One night they came over to cook dinner together and we made fajitas. I miss my Dutch girls! :(
Sofi has taken a particular interest in baking, which I love! I made challah a couple of weeks ago and she helped me quite a bit. She really does a great job and is especially good with the creative side of baking and decorating.
Martin helped with the kneading as well... :)
Fer's parents are visiting this week but I hope to get another post up before too long!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to have a way to see and hear about your life in Argentina! It sounds like a delicious place to be. We are looking forward to seeing you next month. We love you mucho!

    ReplyDelete