Sunday, November 13, 2011

Our neighborhood

We live in Palermo, which is a very vague statement if you know much about Buenos Aires since Palermo is a huge neighborhood with lots of sub-neighborhoods. More specifically, we live in the part of Palermo that is closest to the rio de la plata and parks, near the zoo, botanic garden and Plaza Italia. Since I have been here I have not heard a Porteño/a use north/south/east/west once to describe location or direction. Instead, locations seem to be described by what's around them. This seems to make some sense since the vast majority of streets are not on a N/S/E/W grid.
I absolutely love our neighborhood! It's been perfect for us. Lots of park and green space close by. Plenty of cafes, shops, restaurants, etc. nearby but not the typical chaotic din of Buenos Aires roaring in the streets. We are close to Plaza Italia which is a major transportation hub and we are on one of the main streets of BA so it's pretty easy to get to where the kids live. Plus we have one of the city's fabulous heladerias (ice cream shops) less than a block away!
This is the view of the park across from our apartment:
This is where I typically run since the side streets can be dangerous. Cars definitely have the right of way here so you have to be careful, which can be difficult to do when you are running. So I just try to avoid the cars as much as possible.

The view of Avenida del Libertador, the street that our apartment is on:
 Crossing Libertador can be an adventure since it has 10+ lanes. The cars are just waiting to have a chance to try to run you over! ;)
The delicious and super close Volta heladeria: dangerous. I'm in love with their special $5 (peso) single flavor cone.
 The Evita Museum is super close for all of you who come to visit:
 There's lots of these school buses cruising the streets full of children jumping around unrestrained. I'm 99% sure these buses do not have seat belts. Seat belts definitely seem optional here.
 One of the many verdulerias in our neighborhood (vegetable and fruit stand). The produce has been SO good here! And on the whole, much cheaper than the states.
 A pretty boulevard that I love...
 My new favorite cafe: Voulezbar
 One of the many confiterias/panaderias close to our place. There are so many delicious treats in these bakeries. And the aroma of all the fresh baked treats is hard to resist.
 Another new favorite:
 New Garden is one of the many "dieteticas" sprinkled throughout the nighborhoods of BA. The name "dietetica" was mis-leading to me at first, but it essentially consists of gluten-free items, hard to find herbs, sweeteners and foods, lots of dried fruits and nuts and random other things including the closest version to brown sugar that I have found here (azucar rubia and azcuar negra).

A local fish shop where Fer can get sushi-grade fish for making sushi.
 There are many heladerias in BA: Volta, Persicco, and Freddo are the biggest chains and we have at least one location of each within 4-5 blocks of our apartment plus other smaller chains. Delicious ice cream is never far away!

3 comments:

  1. So fun to see your apartment and neighborhood! Yay! Thanks so much for blogging, Cairna. It makes your sis far away happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Peeking through that post felt almost like an urban hike with you. Your new home looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing your new world with us via this blog. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought about working for the BA Office of Tourism? You are definitely making me want to come and visit! (As if I didn't already!) I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete